It's the stuff nightmares and horror movies are made of.
A holidaymaker got a nasty shock when he learned that the strange bleeding bumps on his head were not bites or shingles, but live maggots.
Aaron Dallas, from Colorado, looked for medical help when the unusual lumps appeared on his scalp after a holiday to Belize during the summer.
One doctor thought they might have been caused by a gnat bite. Another believed his problem was shingles.
But then the bumps took on a life of their own and began to move.
A doctor discovered five bot fly larvae living inside Aaron Dallas's head, near the top of his skull. This was a few weeks after a mosquito had apparently placed them there.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment